Wednesday July 8th 2020

Do Catholics Worship the Saints?

Do Catholics Worship the Saints?

“Pray” for non-Catholics is synonymous with worship. But, not all prayer is worship. There are four types of prayer: 1) Worship 2) Thanksgiving 3) Petition and 4) Intercession. The original meaning and use of the word “Pray” is to “petition” or “ask.” The practice of petitioning Saints or Mary dates to the earliest days of Christianity and is shared by Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, the other Eastern Christians, and even some Anglicans—meaning that all-told it is shared by more than three quarters of the Christians on earth—It has only been with the advent of Protestantism (500 years old or less) that anyone has questioned the use of this word.

As Scripture indicates, those in heaven are aware of the prayers of those on earth. This can be seen, for example, in Revelation 5:8, where John depicts the saints in heaven offering our prayers to God under the form of “golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.”
So, we do pray to saints, but not to worship them. We pray to ask for their prayers. They pray with us and for us, just as others here on earth can pray with us and for us. Have you ever asked a friend or a family member to pray for you? It is the same thing.

Prayer is simply a request. Worship is something altogether different. We do pray to them, but some prayer is making a request. We make requests of the saints and of Mary for their intercession, which the Bible says is pleasing to God. Paul says that Christians should intercede: “First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way. This is good, and pleasing to God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth” (1 Tim. 2:1–4).

A request can only be answered by God. We request God’s help, his mercy, and his divine intervention. Nevertheless, we do ask the saints, the Blessed Virgin Mary and others in heaven to petition our prayer to God for us. All with the same goal, that God will help, have mercy and divinely intervene.

Reader Feedback

15 Responses to “Do Catholics Worship the Saints?”

1. Tommy says:

The word “saints” in Paul’s writings, especially, refer to the living followers of Jesus Christ. In his salutations and greetings, Paul was not addressing dead people, he was addressing the living. It is they he called saints.

2. Nathaniel says:

Thank’s 4 ur teaching i av learnt enough.

3. Pam says:

@ tommy ‘what are those in Heaven called?’

4. Kwame Frimpong says:

Can someone please tell me the name of the painting associated with the article? I would really appreciate it, blessings.

5. Stef says:

Refering to the file name, the paint maybe has title: ALL SAINTS DAY

6. John says:

Please:

What is your basis for claiming that the Saints are unable to act or to grant prayers? What makes them impotent when they are in heaven? They are not dead; are they? They reign with Christ; do they not?

I can do things for people who ask me, though I try to act for and in Christ, I do still act. Why do you say the Saints do not?

Is there an authoritative document or other source to which you can direct me establishing this as a teaching of the Church, rather than merely a rhetorical concession to protestant sensibilities?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Pax Domini vobiscum.

JRH

7. jordan shoes says:

Thank you for all your valuable effort on this website. My aunt loves setting aside time for research and it’s really easy to understand why. We know all regarding the dynamic manner you present good guidance via the web blog and even invigorate contribution from some others about this article plus my child is really understanding a great deal. Take advantage of the rest of the year. You have been conducting a wonderful job.

8. I needed to compose you this little word in order to say thanks a lot as before over the amazing guidelines you’ve documented on this page. This is really open-handed with you to deliver openly what a few individuals could possibly have sold for an ebook to get some dough on their own, especially given that you might well have tried it in the event you considered necessary. These tips in addition acted to provide a great way to fully grasp other people online have the identical dreams just as mine to find out whole lot more pertaining to this matter. I believe there are numerous more enjoyable instances in the future for individuals who scan through your blog.

9. adidas ultra says:

Thanks for all your valuable efforts on this website. Kate really loves participating in internet research and it’s really easy to understand why. We all hear all relating to the powerful method you give both useful and interesting tips and hints via this website and as well strongly encourage participation from the others on that situation so our favorite princess has always been starting to learn a whole lot. Enjoy the rest of the year. You’re the one conducting a great job.

10. I simply wanted to appreciate you once more. I am not sure the things that I would have used in the absence of these tips revealed by you about such situation. Previously it was a frightful circumstance in my circumstances, nevertheless being able to view this well-written approach you treated the issue made me to jump for contentment. I will be happy for this service and then sincerely hope you recognize what a powerful job you are undertaking educating people using your blog. Most probably you’ve never got to know any of us.

11. vans shoes says:

I not to mention my friends have already been examining the great recommendations on your web blog while the sudden I got an awful suspicion I had not thanked the web blog owner for those techniques. My young boys are already for that reason happy to learn them and now have honestly been taking pleasure in these things. Appreciation for getting considerably accommodating and then for finding some terrific issues millions of individuals are really needing to be informed on. Our own sincere apologies for not expressing appreciation to you earlier.

12. yeezys says:

Thanks so much for giving everyone an exceptionally brilliant chance to read from this blog. It is usually very sweet and also full of a great time for me personally and my office colleagues to search the blog at a minimum 3 times a week to read through the newest guides you have got. And lastly, I’m also at all times motivated considering the surprising solutions served by you. Certain 3 facts in this article are undoubtedly the most effective I have had.

13. My husband and i felt so relieved that John managed to conclude his researching through the precious recommendations he grabbed in your web pages. It is now and again perplexing just to possibly be giving freely secrets which usually some people might have been trying to sell. And we all fully grasp we now have the blog owner to give thanks to for this. All of the illustrations you made, the simple website menu, the friendships you will make it possible to instill – it’s mostly fantastic, and it’s aiding our son in addition to our family feel that this issue is cool, and that’s highly vital. Thanks for everything!

14. I happen to be writing to let you know what a magnificent discovery my girl experienced browsing yuor web blog. She figured out a lot of details, not to mention how it is like to have a very effective helping style to make a number of people without hassle learn about a number of specialized issues. You really exceeded visitors’ expected results. I appreciate you for supplying these insightful, dependable, explanatory and also cool thoughts on this topic to Emily.

15. I and my friends happened to be viewing the good ideas from the website and then the sudden I got an awful suspicion I never thanked the web blog owner for those strategies. Most of the ladies had been totally glad to study them and already have definitely been loving them. Appreciation for indeed being really helpful and then for making a choice on such really good resources millions of individuals are really needing to know about. My very own sincere regret for not saying thanks to sooner.