There are two main parts of the mass.
The Liturgy of the Word is the first half of the mass. Instantly the mass is a participation of the priest and the congregation. This can be seen and heard from the responses from the people, the choir and congregation singing and the alter servers helping the priest with the celebration.
The major parts of the first half of the mass in order are:
- The confession where we state the “I Confess”.
- Asking for mercy, Lord have Mercy, Christ have Mercy…
- The Gloria – Celebrating God
- Opening Prayer
- The Readings – from the Bible, a reading from the Old Testament, then Psalms and then the New Testament (Non-Gospel), sometimes in the year Acts or Revelations are the first reading
- The Gospel Reading (Book of Matthew, Mark, Luke or John) – The Gospel can only be read by a Priest or Deacon.
- Nicene Creed – Profession of Faith
The Liturgy of the Eucharist is the second half mass. There is a definite change in direction at this point. The Liturgy of the Eucharist begins with the bread and wine being brought to the alter.
- The bread and wine brought to the alter as well as our financial gift to the church
- The preparation of the gifts by the Priest
- Holy,Holy,Holy is sung
- The Priest repeats the words of the last supper as they become the Body and Blood of Christ
- The Congregation proclaims the Mystery of Faith – Jesus’ dying, rising and coming again.
- The Lord’s Prayer
- Sign of Peace – it is the sign of forgiveness and unity among all celebrating the mass. Everyone is equal in the presence of Jesus.
- Greet Christ by saying the Lamb of God
- The passing out of the Eucharist
- Final blessing
If you want to learn more about the mass, we highly recommend
The How-To Book on the Mass by Michael Dubruiel.
The Catholic Company is the leading online and catalog seller of high quality Catholic books and gifts. They are Catholic owned and operated from the company’s owners, to product buyers, to our marketing staff, and our warehouse employees.